Skip to main content

Hi

I'm preparing to upgrade our production server to SP4. I have run the upgrade successfully in VPC. Then I went to service manager to check the framework version - it had changed to version 2 so I switched it back to 1.1. and restarted the K2 server.

Then (following the instructions in KB000154) I went to check the framework version used by studio, by opening the K2Studio.exe.config file. It was also saying version 2, so I switched that back to 1.1.

I notice on my production server that is still SP3 - the file K2Studio.exe.config does not exist. Is this normal? Does it get created by SP4?

Many thanks,

//Rich

K2 Studio is probably not installed on the server (common).

K2 Studio is often just installed on client machines, not servers.

K2 Studio is installed on the server though? I have the K2server.exe and can run it.

Many thanks,

Rich

I guess I'll separate this into two issues:

1. K2 Server showing "SP3" after upgrade to SP4: there is a known bug in the K2 Service manager's MMC plug-in "Help" > "About K2.net 2003" values...it may show "K2.net 2003 Service Manager (SP3)" but it is running SP4 (should have "3.6262.1.0" listed as the version number). You can verify the version via the actual EXEs/DLLs (k2server.exe, K2mng.dll, etc.)

2.  Missing 'K2Studio.exe.config' file: I suspect that either K2 Studio was not selected as part of the SP4 upgrade, so the file may have been removed by the installer (just a guess), or that the file is a template for K2 studio clients to reference/copy when first pointed to the server, or the file was explicitly deleted (just another theory). I haven't tested any of these scenarios though.

Hi

Sorry - I should probably clarify.

In preparing to deploy SP4 to production servers, I ran through the process on virtual PC to test our existing workflows. The upgrade completed succesfully. Following some advice in another thread, it was recommended that one of the post-upgrade steps was to follow KB154 and verify the .NET framework versions used by K2, as the upgrade can sometimes switch them to version 2.

On the VPC, I checked service manager and saw that it had indeed switched to version 2; so I switched it back to version 1. Then I checked K2Studio.exe.config, and it also was reading version 2; so I switched that back to version 1.

The concern I have is that on my pre-production and production servers (both running K2 SP3 Server with studio installed), the file K2Studio.exe.config does not exist. I'm wondering if this file gets created by SP4, or if not, why it doesn't exist in my SP3 environments.

Regardless; we have now discovered that SP4 actually breaks several of our existing workflows and as such have put a hold on the whole upgrade while we get it resolved (have opened a support ticket).

Many thanks again for your time and help,

Rich

Thank you for the confirmation. I assumed this was the case however I was confused by the fact that service manager does let you choose the framework version!

Thanks again,

Rich

out of curiosity what did SP4 'break' on your existing workflows?  We are about to upgrade and i am curious what potential problems may exist.

The problem appears to be a specific bug in Studio; K2 Support have sent my ticket back to the development team for study.

Essentially some of our workflows reference the Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal DLL. When you add a reference in Studio, if you browse for this DLL it gets added correctly. If you just add it from the list of components it gets added as "microsoft.sharepoint.portal". This is obviously what has been done on a couple of our workflows.

Service Pack 3 didn't seem to mind this, so we didn't notice. However with SP4 installed, as soon as one of these processes tries to continue/start, we immediately get: "4116 Error Compiling Process: Compile Error: Imports Line 0: Metadata file 'microsoft.sharepoint.portal.dll" could not be found".

This isn't a problem for new process instances - we can simply remove and re-add the reference using the "correct" method and then re-export. However that doesn't help already running process instances, some of which are long running.

Other than that - everything was very smooth; quite impressed. Just remember to copy the install package locally rather than trying to run it from ISO/Disc. And check the .NET framework versions after installation (KB154).

Cheers, Rich