Skip to main content

Scenario: User submitted a request by filling out a (smart) form. Workflow started and is in progress while going through intermediate review and approval steps.

Question: What is the best/right way to provide a mechanism for end user to view the status of their request? That is, how can user see where their request is in terms of workflow life cycle? 

Does this need to be custom built or is there an existing mechanism in place?

Thanks.

Adnan

We typically do this 2 ways.  First after the workflow starts we send a submission confirmation email that includes a link to the K2 Viewflow so that users can visually see the progress of the workflow using the viewflow diagram.  This does require that you provide the submitters with View permissions on the process which may not necessarily be what you want to do for every process if it contains sensitive data.

The other way is that we will often write out to a SharePoint customized list with a "Current Activity" field  any other appropriate metadata to provide more context.  One of the other fields we normally add to the list is a "K2 Viewflow" field so that once again the users can get a graphical view of the workflow progress.  In the workflow in each activity using the K2 SharePoint events we update the appropriate fields in the customized SharePoint list with the current status..

K2 also offers out of the box K2 "My Processes" webpart that you could potentially add to a SharePoint site to track.

Thanks Tim. Your response is very helpful.

We don't have SharePoint integration available to date so we are left with following options. 

1. Provide link to the Viewflow
  2. Implement a custom report to provide the workflow status.

1. We can use Workspace report designer
    2. Use smartforms and a SmartObject

Best regards,

Adnan

I would probably go for option number 2.   Personally, I find the Workspace report designer a bit difficult to use and customize.

Agreed. Smartforms are better for such purposes for now.

Thanks again Tim.

Adnan