Skip to main content

I am trying to evaluate k2 blackpearl, and have run into the following - I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. This install is a clean install of SP1 - I haven't previously installed any other version. All of the K2 server components and MOSS are running on a single virtual server. Visual Studio and K2 studio components are installed on my client PC.

I have created a simple workflow project which is to send an email when a document is created or changed in a sharepoint document library, and have managed to compile it OK, but I get the following warning message:

Warning               1              Schema validation failed for XmlField 'WFIProcessField': The element 'Items' has incomplete content. List of possible elements expected: 'Item'.        C:UsersusernameDocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsBriefApprovalBriefApprovalBriefApproval.kprx                1              1              BriefApproval

when I go to deploy it fails, and I get the following error (and the same warning above), and the deploy fails:

Error      2              No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it

C:UsersusernameDocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsBriefApprovalBriefApprovalobjDebugDeploymentBriefApproval.msbuild     72           6                BriefApproval

Can anyone help me out here?

Try to restart the K2 windows service. This seems to work for me...

I believe the error is caused by the blackpearl server service not running... check to see if that service is enabled on your server.  You can start it in console mode as well, to get more information on what is going on, but you'd have to shut down the service first.  Hope this helps!

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions guys - I really appreciate you trying to help me out...

I have restarted the windows service, and have also tried running this in both console mode and service mode - no luck on either...I've also tried rebooting the machine and doing both of the above suggestions...

Any other suggestions??

You say 'no luck' in console mode, does that mean the server won't start in console mode?  Or you aren't seeing any useful output there?  The console window should stay open when you start the server this way, allowing you to see any errors that blackpearl is encountering during your activities.
Also, check the event logs on the server.  Look for anything that might indicate why your development machine cannot connect to the server.

Console mode seems to start up OK, as does the service, but when I deploy, I get the same error when K2 server is running in either mode.

There are no errors appearing in the K2 console session, and there are no errors in the event log.

Any other ideas gratefully accepted!

Hi

I have seen the compile error message you have mentioned when either the "From" or "To" email address is blank. Or if you are using an environment variable that has not been assigned a value. Check your email activity for this, recompile and then deploy.

Good luck.

Robin   

thanks for the suggestion Robin.

Unfortunately, I am not using any variables - I am just trying to send an email, with a fixed from address, and a fixed to address, with a fixed subject and body.

I checked that the from and to address were populated, and tried to re-deploy, but same issue...

by some act of a force larger than myself, the error now appears to be different (and I am now getting 2 errors - see below in bold). I would appreciate any suggestions on this....

K2 - any chance of getting some feedback on this - I am trying to evaluate your product, and have now spent the best part of a week getting to the point where it still doesn't work. I'm hoping someone can confirm that I have missed something very simple here, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I have now changed my configuration so that I have everything (including VS2005) installed on one box, but have still had no luck.

Errors received when I try to deploy a project are below:

Notification Service: Task Error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
 C:Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsBriefApprovalSVRBriefApprovalSVRobjDebugDeploymentBriefApprovalSVR.msbuild 76 6 BriefApprovalSVR

The "SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.NotificationService.NotificationTask" task failed unexpectedly.
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.NotificationService.NotificationTask.Execute()
   at Microsoft.Build.BuildEngine.TaskEngine.ExecuteTask(ExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Hashtable projectItemsAvailableToTask, BuildPropertyGroup projectPropertiesAvailableToTask, Boolean& taskClassWasFound)
 C:Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsBriefApprovalSVRBriefApprovalSVRobjDebugDeploymentBriefApprovalSVR.msbuild 76 6 BriefApprovalSVR

Hi Arduk,

I had a similar error before and that was casued by the K2 fetaures not activated in MOSS. Would you please check:

(0) Please check if MSMQ is installed properly, it has to be with AD integration (need to work with public Queue)

(1) K2 service account is one of the site collection administrators (MOSS Central Admin)

(2) IN Moss Central Admin, there is a K2 Administration Tab on top. Please select and enable all the K2 features there if they are not enabled.

(3) Deploy again and let is know if the problem persists.

Regards,

Marco 

I am concerned that his blackpearl server console and event log have no indication that anyone is even trying to connect to it... you'd think if the connection was being refused, at least the event log would say something about it.  It is almost as if his environment is attempting to connect to the wrong server...

Arduk, in Visual Studio, can you see your servers through the K2 Object Browser?

Marco & Tim - thanks for the suggestions.

Marco:
(0) MSMQ appears to be installed properly, including AD integration
(1) K2 service account is definitely one of the site collection administrators
(2) All K2 features enabled.
(3) Deployed again, and same problem exists.

Tim:
In VS, in the K2 object browser, I can select servers, and if I test them, they seem to work OK.

In an effort to sort this out I have completely uninstalled and re-installed (for the 10th-ish time).

My installation of K2 Blackpearl SP1 (as before) has everything on one box (standalone install) including Visual Studio

The good thing about this is that I am now getting a different error (which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence - different error messages after an identical install?!?!)

The error message now is:
Error 2 Task Error: System.Exception: Error occurred associating the workflow with the list. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, ObjectO] parameters)
   at SourceCode.SharePoint.WebServices.K2SPWorkflowAssociations.AssociateWorkflowWithList(Guid FeatureID, String ListID, String TaskListName, String HistoryListName, String AssociationName, K2SPWorkflowStartOptions StartOptions)
   at SourceCode.Workflow.SharePoint.Common.WorkflowAssociations.AssociateWorkflowWithList(Guid FeatureID, String ListName, String TaskName, String HistoryName, String AssocationName, WorkflowStartOptions StartOptions, CredentialCache CredCache)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.AssociateWorkflow(IntegrationObject integration)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.AssociateWorkflow(IntegrationObject integration)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationService.Execute(IntegrationObject integration, Boolean testMode, Boolean createDependancies)
   at SourceCode.DeploymentTasks.SharePoint.WorkflowIntegration.WorkflowIntegrationTask.Execute()
 C:Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsVisual Studio 2005ProjectsBriefApprovalSVRBriefApprovalSVRobjDebugDeploymentBriefApprovalSVR.msbuild 68 6 BriefApprovalSVR

The information in the console that comes up as I deploy is:
Info    1020 Starting Session 35666874B09C0058122D1933CC98BE2B
Info    3000 Authenticating DOMAINUsername for session 35666874B09C0058122D
1933CC98BE2B using K2 - NTLM
Info    1025 Ending Session 35666874B09C0058122D1933CC98BE2B

This would seem to me to indicate a problem with one of the lists that I am using in the workflow, however I have ensured that both the Task list and Workflow history list do exist (I actually created these lists through the Sharepoint Workflow Integration wizard, and confirmed they were created by looking in Sharepoint Designer at the site) 

Hopefully this error is a little easier to resolve (my trial license expires at the end of March, so would like to have actually been able to trial something by then ;))

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out here.

Cheers have gone up from around the office as I have finally managed to get this to work, and my previously suicidal mood has improved somewhat

So far, my experience could best be described as akin to dabbling in the black arts, however I am still hopeful that it can only improve from here on in. The only concerning thing for me is that I don't believe that I did anything differently this time....

Thanks to all those who have offered suggestions above - I really appreciate people taking the time to help me with this.

No doubt you will hear from me again as I now delve into beginner-land and try to actually create a real business workflow in order to test this out....

Thanks again to everyone!

Arduk or anyone. What was the resolution for this? I am having similar problems with my Blackpearl installation and would like to see if your fix would work for me. Thanks in advance.

I wish I could give you an answer as to what eventually solved my problems, but I can't. I installed and re-installed numerous times, and finally it just seemed to work. Even after the last install I did, I was still getting an error - I was about to give up on it, and thought I would just try rebooting (I had already rebooted a couple of times), and when it came back up, everything seemed to be working OK.

Needless to say this didn't exactly fill me with confidence in the product! Having said that, now that I have actually got it installed and running, I am impressed with its capabilities, and haven't had any further problems.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - just make sure you follow the install instructions carefully, and see how you go - contact your sales rep or partner if you can't get it solved - K2 actually contacted me after they found out about the problem, but I had just managed to get it working

Best of luck!

I was having the same error and seemed to have resolved it my updating my environment connection paths under the K2 Object Browser from within Visual Studio. The connection strings were targeting "K2Farm" when they should have been targeting the name of my K2Server "Win2003".