Skip to main content

I have a System Inventory SharePoint 2010 list (a) which amongst it's fields has a list of Systems and their Technical System Owner. The System list is a drop down list and the Technical System Owner is input by using the people picker field.

I've been asked to send an alert out to the Technical System Owner when an issue is recorded next to their system via an InfoPath form.

I've created a new list called Improvement Log (b) and I'm getting the System List drop down field from list a. I'm using Nintex Workflow to send the alert, but I'm stuck on what actions I need to get the specific Technical System Owner item from list a.

Any help very much appreciated.

Cassy Freeman‌ Hi Cassy. From reading the threads it seems you've dealt with similar issues? Would you be able to provide me with any guidance on this?

you could eg. get technical owners with a set variable action like follows

then configure send notification action recipients to the variable.

216115_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks Marian Hatala‌ I've configured it so that the Set field is looking at a field on list b (Improvement Log) then the lookup is looking at list a (System Inventory) and at the field which contains the Technical System Owner. I've set up a variable called CurrentSystemName.

Which variable should I put in the 'To' field of the notification? I did a test to see what the list field 'Technical System Owner' and what CurrentSystemName returned and nothing came back.

What am I missing? Any help appreciated!

Which variable should I put in the 'To' field of the notification?

'Technical System Owner' variable should hold list of owners/persons you want to send notification to.

I did a test to see what the list field 'Technical System Owner' and what CurrentSystemName returned and nothing came back

do you mean you have written both variables to history log? if not, then write them both to the log and check see what values they contain.

note CurrentSystemName is input variable to the action and has to be populated beforehand. I guess in your case it should be taken from 'Current Item' - ie. from an item which the workflow runs on.

"Technical System Owner" is output variable and is populated by a value from list field configured in 'Field' dropdown.

Thanks Marian Hatala I've created a Query List action to populate the CurrentSystemName variable.

The Set field value is as above.

I've got a Log in history list action for both variables but when I go to Site Actions/Manage Work 2010/View Workflow History it errors, but I've put the variables in the body of the Send Notification.

CurrentSystemName is returning a Technical System Owner but not the right one for the item Technical System Owner isn't returning anything? Any ideas?

Full workflow

CurrentSystemName is returning a Technical System Owner but not the right one for the item

how did you configured filter in query list action? did you correctly identified which item should owner be read from?

Hi Marian Hatala‌ I haven't set up a filter. Should I set it up as 'Select items only when the following is true:' and Sort by Technical System Owner?

sure!

without a filter condition query list action returns all the items from the list (all the systems and their owners in your case).

and since (it looks like) you used scalar (single line text?) output variable you got just first returned value saved.

furthermore, with the above configuration you've saved returned owner value into 'CurrentSystemName' variable. imho CurrentSystemName should have been used in filter.

HOWEVER, I'd say you do not need query list action at all.

I guess your workflow runs on Improvement log (item), so you already know actual system name from current item (items properties in formula builder).

so you could directly lookup an Owner from systems inventory the way I've shown in my first post.

Thanks Marian Hatala

The Worflow I've currently got set up now is currently just a Set field value (configuration below) and Send notification which isn't returning anything for the owner. I think I'm getting my head around this. Would I not need a Query list action before the Set field value action so that I could populate the CurrentSystemName variable? And use the Filter in the Query list to get the exact System Owner for the system? I don't know what I'd set the Filter to? I've screened grabbed what I've got it set to.

Thanks Marian Hatala‌ Got it working with your help. Set up two Query List actions. The first which looked at the System Inventory list and filtered the System list (a) when the column Title was equal to the Improvement Log list (b) title column.

Thanks for all your help!

if my above assumption

I guess your workflow runs on Improvement log (item), so you already know actual system name from current item (items properties in formula builder).

is correct, then you do not need query list.

but change set variable action configuration so that "Equals" compare by  'Value" and as a value insert reference to SystemName list field (item property)