Skip to main content
Hello all, 

My team is currently evaluating K2 as a prospective workflow solution. We are in the process of POC environment setup (all components on the signle server). After sending the list of Requirements (identified through K2 Deployment Guide whitepaper) to our Tech Arch folks, I was asked to specify the following SQL Server requirements: 

-       Estimated Maximum Database size (Space required will be 4 x Estimated Size to allow for backup space):
- Estimated Number of concurrent users: 1-3
- Estimated number of transactions per day:
- Database Collation Sequence:
- Recovery Model:
- Preferred data file name:
- Initial sizes, File Group, Auto Grow requirements, Restrict Growth requirements:
- Preferred log file names:
- Initial sizes, File Group, Auto Grow requirements, Restrict Growth requirements:
- Database Maintenance Requirements:
- Time for Full Backup:
- Log backups frequency:
- Default database for logins : master

Can someone please recommend settings for POC purposes (1-3 users max)? 

Many thanks in advance, 

Casper

The answer would depend on what sort of applications the server will be running and also what these 1-3 concurrent users are doing on the server.

If they are just doing simple transactions (i.e. submitting a request, approving an item, etc), a relatively moderate box should suffice.  e.g. Centrino or Xeon class 1-2 CPUs, 2GB memory.

If these 1-3 users are doing concurrent development on the box via remote sessions, I would propose something higher spec due to the higher memory usage by the VS designer.  e.g. Centrino or Xeon class 2-4 CPUs, 4GB memory

Storage would be depending on what you would be using it for.  Generally, SATA drives are pretty cheap nowadays, so it wouldn't be uncommon to see 320GB, 500GB, 1TB or 2TB RAID 1 (mirror) setups.  You would probably need more space if you are planning to do large amounts of document storage.

Thank you Johny, 

For POC I requested a fairly small SQL server installation. It will be changed for development, testing and staging environments. For now, just have to convince the clients to go with K2 as our workflow solution. 

Thanks again, 

Casper 
Another point to note is that with the improved performance in virtual environments (i.e. Hyper-V), putting dev and testing environments on virtualisation boxes is also an attractive option.  This allows you to move the environment and pump up the CPU/memory as needed.