Skip to main content

Symptoms

Planning to DB Archiving and DB Consolidation

Diagnoses

Hello,

We used to add extra storage to the hard disk (Virtual Machine) containing Blackpearl Production's DB until it reached 800 GB with free space of 137 GB as of today. We are planning to consolidate our 14 DBs to 1 DB as recommended by K2 and to be ready to upgrade to future build that will required a consolidated DB.

We've never archived our Blackpearl’s DB since initial launching on 2012 and with enormous usage, it reached more than 600 GB (428 GB on K2ServerLog, 172 GB on K2Server). Now, we need to do both DB consolidation as well as archiving.

I’ve read the attached document from K2 (K2_Database_Consolidation_Tool_1.6.pdf), however, I need your advices and confirmation on the below:
• The best approach to perform the needed i.e. DB consolidation and DB archiving?
• It stated “7. You will require approximately 4 times the amount of hard drive space occupied by the K2Serverlog database during processing. This space will be freed up after the archiving is complete”. What if we can’t arrange for the needed free space 600 * 4 = 2400 GB!
• After DB consolidation, is Blackpearl going to be able to access achieved data normally?

I looking forward to hearing from you

Best regards,
Mohammed Al-Haddad

Resolution

Hi Mohammad
I got the following response from the Labs
"The client can archive their 2012 and 2013 DB's - then delete them to free up some space.

However if the client cannot due to space restrictions, then they can perhaps use smaller date ranges."

Be the first to reply!