Skip to main content

I'm parsing a Repeating Section with a For Each. Sometimes, a field in the For Each doesn't have data. Sometimes it does. I can't figure out how to capture it correctly. So you can see the XML from the Repeater Section below. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><RepeaterData><Version />
<Items>
<Item>
<dtlCurrentRowNumber type="System.String">1</dtlCurrentRowNumber>
<txtchoiceGetMethodAdded type="System.String"></txtchoiceGetMethodAdded>
<txtchoiceRegionAdded type="System.String">REGION</txtchoiceRegionAdded>
<txtchoiceLTCAdded type="System.String">**SelectValue**</txtchoiceLTCAdded>
<txtchoiceCentersbyRegionAdded type="System.String">CENTER001;CENTER002</txtchoiceCentersbyRegionAdded>
<txtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded type="System.String"></txtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded>
<dtlAddedText type="System.String">111</dtlAddedText>
</Item><Item>

<dtlCurrentRowNumber type="System.String">2</dtlCurrentRowNumber>
<txtchoiceGetMethodAdded type="System.String"></txtchoiceGetMethodAdded>
<txtchoiceRegionAdded type="System.String"></txtchoiceRegionAdded>
<txtchoiceLTCAdded type="System.String">LTCTYPE</txtchoiceLTCAdded>
<txtchoiceCentersbyRegionAdded type="System.String"></txtchoiceCentersbyRegionAdded>
<txtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded type="System.String">CENTER002;CENTER003;CENTER001;CENTER004</txtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded>
<dtlAddedText type="System.String">222</dtlAddedText></Item></Items></RepeaterData>‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

I'm then doing a query on //txtChoiceCentersbyRegionAdded and //txtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded. 

I log the results of the query to make sure I'm returning the correct information. My log then looks like this:

8/17/2017 9:26 AM Comment  Centers Region: CENTER001;CENTER002
8/17/2017 9:26 AM Comment  Centers Region:  
8/17/2017 9:26 AM Comment  LTC Centers:  
8/17/2017 9:26 AM Comment  LTC Centers: CENTER002;CENTER003;CENTER001;CENTER004
8/17/2017 9:26 AM Comment  Combined: ;CENTER002;CENTER003;CENTER001;CENTER004
‍‍‍‍‍

So far so good. I can see it checked both Items returned in the XML, and it pulled the Centers for each item. Line 1 and 3 are the same item. Line 2 and 4 are the second item.

Line 2 shows where no CentersbyRegion were selected. Line 3 shows no CentersbyLTC added. All that is correct. Line 5 is my current problem. 

Line 5 in the log is a Build String set to "vartxtChoiceCentersbyRegionAdded;vartxtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded". You can see an empty space for "vartxtChoiceCentersbyRegionAdded" and then the semicolon and the correct output for "vartxtchoiceCentersbyLTCAdded". I understand why this is happening. It's because Item 2, there was no data to put into "vartxtChoiceCentersbyRegionAdded" so it essentially erased the variable contents. 

What is the best way to save the results here? I'm going to have the possibility of up to about 10 different Items in the Repeater, some will have data, some will be blank. I need to save each Item data for both fields in the Repeater and concatenate them all into one, remove duplicates, and have my final list. 

Once again, I submitted a question to the community just a little bit too early. I was forgetting about the "Collection Operation" action. Using the Collection Operation action documented in the Collection Operations post by Paul Crawford I was able to do what I needed. 

glad it helps and you got what you needed. 

‌