Skip to main content

Hello All,

I have a process where a user uploads a PDF to an InfoPath form, this is then uploaded to a document library within the workflow which is referenced on a later screen.

At the moment, I can show the link as to where it's hosted and when the user clicks it, they are prompted to save and download - what I need to do, is show the document in the application (Adobe Reader 😵.

When I go directly to the document library and click the PDF, it checks it out and opens in the reader, where I can add my comments and it automatically saves and checks the document back in. I really need to replicate this functionality within InfoPath.

Can anyone help me, as I'm tearing my hair out!

Many thanks in advance,
Dayna

Hi Dayna,

Before you tear out your hair, lets see if we can help.

Note: By using file attachments in InfoPath documents is generally not desirable as a K2 best practice. This can easily cause significant growth in the K2ServerLog database.

Also the InfoPath client event makes a copy of the InfoPath document per slot and InfoPath file attachments need to be base64 encoded. This roughly multiplies the attachment size by 1.37 times.

If I understand your scenario correctly you can accomplish this by using K2 SmartObject technology and SharePoint to store the file attachments externally of the InfoPath document with no code at all.

Please reference the following for more information

http://www.k2underground.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.03.41.44/How-to-upload-InfoPath-File-Attachments-with-SmartObjects-v1.0.pdf

I hope this is what you are searching for.

Best regards,
Brink

Hello Brink,

Many thanks for your reply, your document will prove to be useful for other bits that I'll be looking at! However, at the moment I already have my attachment going to a document library using SmartObjects, but when I come to open the document from the link, it prompts to save the PDF rather than opening it in it's native client (Adobe Reader X in this case).

Ideally, I want to be able to open the document, make some comments and then save it back to the document library via the InfoPath screen within the workflow.. Do you have any ideas?

Many thanks for your help on this!
Kind Regards,
Dayna