Skip to main content

is there a method for opening a form within a modal window from a button click? I'm trying to keep the user from going to a list, and clicking on new item.

I could do something like this, but wanted to know if there is a better way when using Nintex.

onclick="javascript:SP.UI.ModalDialog.showModalDialog({ url: '../Lists/GBE/NewForm.aspx', title: 'User Survey' }); return false;"

That seems fine, You can also use a Custom Ribbon Button to do the same thing.

Where will the user be clicking this button or link?

Do you want to prevent users from creating new items? Or just provide an alternate method to create new items?

we are trying to prevent the user from navigating to the SharePoint list. they would submit the form, and then be redirected to another page

Instead of using the button to redirect, which you could do, you could use the List Form Webpart. Add this webpart to any page (away from list, on a home page per say). The user can fill out the form and click save. The webpart allows for redirect, or simply show a confirmation message.

More details on the web part:

The Nintex Forms List Form Web Part allows you to embed a list form designed using Nintex Forms on a page.

List Form Web Part Settings

Form Mode: Show the List Form in new, edit or display mode.

Site URL: The Site URL to retrieve the List item information from.

Redirect URL: The URL to redirect to after the form has been submitted.

Confirmation message: The confirmation message to be displayed after the form has been submitted.

List Name/ID: The List Name/ID to retrieve the form from.

If Edit or Display is selected for the Form Mode:

Item ID: The ID of the specific item in the list to retrieve.

If New is selected for the Form Mode:

Content Type: The content type name/ID of the to be displayed.

Hi,

This solution is great for a Static option. Users must enter the correct ID.

My user has to select different items in the list each time.

Is there any way to have it in a Dynamic way, using a variable or a field other than the ID?

Thanks

It is possible to connect the NF List web part to a list, please see this post Want to open edit form based on selection from a connected list webpart as it's a thorough example of how to set it up.