Skip to main content

Hi,

I am currently in the process of defining how K2 blackpearl fits into the application architecture for my current client. As part of this work I need to specify how we will integrate blackpearl with Biztalk 2009.

The initial plan has been to expose blackpearl processes to Biztalk as WCF endpoints via the Object Publishing Layer mentioned in the K2 documentation. Reciprocally Biztalk will provide WCF adapters for its relevant orchestrations for K2 to invoke where needed.

What I haven't been able to find is any more detail in the documentation about how to use the Object Publishing Layer (OPL). In addition I have seen it mentioned that the OPL wasn't in the blackpearl RTM but would be subsequently released.

So my questions are: is the OPL available, and if so, is integrating with Biztalk 2009 via WCF the best option?

Best regards,

Jack

You are correct in your statement that the OPL feature set planned for blackpearl is not there as of now.  However I still feel you can accomplish what you are looking for with the use of SmartObjects.  Or the authoring of a basic ServiceObject for WCF.  I know there were a couple people out there that built such a sample. 

I am not a BizTalk expert so I am not sure what your best options are there.  Anyone out there used BizTalk in this way?

P.S.  Do you still see OPL in the documentation?

Thanks for the response Chris.

Yes, OPL is mentioned in the K2blackpearl.chm file under the 'Microsoft .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1' topic.

So solution wise, I could for example use the Dynamic WCF Service on the blackmarket to allow blackpearl to talk to Biztalk, but can anyone suggest a way for Biztalk 2009 to call blackpearl without writing a custom Biztalk adapter that uses the K2 blackpearl Client API?

Any light that can be shed on this would be much appreciated!