Skip to main content

Hi,

I am currently trying to update a list via looping workflow, however I am having trouble. My workflow only updates the first occurrence on the item and then runs in an infinite loop. I need this to be a list workflow rather than a site workflow as well that triggers when an item is changed. Do not want a site workflow because we have 3000 items in the list and do not want to have it run each day on each item. As you can see below I am trying to have the data from List A (People Picker Test) write to List B (People Picker Test) based on the ProjectID Value.

List A:

List B:

WF is very basic, was hoping it wouldn't have to be complicated.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

-Greg

Hi Greg,

So you just want to run the workflow on an item when that item is changed?

Jan

Hey Jan,

Yes - that is correct.

-Greg

Hi Greg,

Could you explain more specifically what do you mean by updating list B.

Hi Jean-Francois,

If you look at the pictures from the initial post you'll see how I'm trying to update the People Picker field in List B based on the People Picker field in List A (might have to click on it as it appears cutoff).

The two lists share the same "ProjectID" value which would be the trigger to show which items in List B are updated.

-Greg

Hi Greg Baker

Sorry, I did'nt see the people picker column. silly.png

Use "Update multiple items" action, not a loop.

List is "List B"

Filter is "ProjectID Equals sItem properties]ProjectID

Field "People Picker Test" = "List lookup", "Current item", "People Picer Test"

Thank you everyone for the help! I went ahead and tried it with "Update multiple items" and it works perfectly. Not sure how I overlooked this.

Ratnesh, I'll keep your suggestion in mind just in case something goes wonky with this current workflow.

Thanks again,

Greg

Hey Jean-Francois,

I did have another question regarding this. There are occasions where a resource will be removed and the value will become blank. However, when the People Picker field is blank it appears the workflow errors out. Would you know a way to bypass this?

-Greg

Greg,

to set people picker to null, I use an empty text variable instead of the value of people picker in list A. Get the value of an empty people picker is not the same (don't know why)

So :

Get people picker value into text variable

test if variable is empty

if true, set variable to fn-trim("") (empty string)

multiple update with variable and not list A column

jsut tested and approved

Thank you!!!!!!