Nintex Forms External Data Column

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi all,

I'm having issues configuring an External Data Column with Nintex Forms 2013.

I've already created my External Content Type and if I create an external list based on it, I can see the correct values.

In my form I've put an External Data Column, not connected to any list column, and I've tied it to that External Content Type, I've changed the display format as Dropdown list and I've selected one of the columns (text type) returned by that content type as field to display. (Have a look on the configurationin the image).

ExternalDataColumn.png

If I look at the published form, the dropdown field list is empty, do you have any suggestion on how to solve this?

Thank you!!

Giacomo

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi Giacomo,

I think this is a common issue, looking back to this post from last year:

Trouble with Nintex Form external data column

I certainly get the same result as you when I try this. The default display shows the listing, but changing to a dropdown shows no result. In the past I believe I encountered this also when trying to pull data in from an external list. I ended up populating a Sharepoint list from an external Content type via a sheduled workflow that runs overnight. Obviously this is no good if you want to have more dynamic access to live data.

Cheers,

Mark

Badge +6

Hi,

Just found this article - maybe worth a shot?

External Data Column Control - Drop down list

Cheers,

Mark

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Mark,

thanks a lot for your answers!

Unfortunately I'm not able to copy the values in a SharePoint list because the values in the source change very often and customer need to select an available value when they fill the form.

I'll give a try on the second method, even if in my external content type I have already two wildcard filter (even if they're not blank as in the suggestion) and I'll be back with an update.

Giacomo

Update of some minutes later: it works!! Thanks a lot Mark!!!

I'll just copy the resolution here from Sean Fiene​​ post in case of future broken links or similar

While creating all operations on the DB table during content type creation (or) double click on the Read List operation if you have already created all operations

1.       Click on “Next”

2.       Click on “Add Filter Parameter”

3.       Click on Filter (Click to add)

4.       Select Filter Type as “Wildcard”

5.       Select a Filter Field and click OK

6.       Click on “Finish” (Note you may need to change the “Data Source Element” to match the selected Filter Field)

7.       Save content type.