Skip to main content

Hi

I'm a sys admin and I've inherited a K2 system I know little about, so I'm sorry if I'm asking stupids questions.......

We have a Blackpearl set up with

NLB IIS servers

NLB K2 Servers

NLB Sharepoint 2010 farm

Failover Clustered SQL instance

At the moment the affinity for all the NLB's is set to Single. Because it is only the IIS worker acocunt that makes requests to the K2 box all the work is only done by one node of the K2 cluster. I thought that we would get better performance if the affinity was set to None on the K2 box. This is a business critical system so I'm reluctant to make this change without experts telling me it won't cause any issues.

I found this article

https://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/icg/4.6.6/webframe.html#before_settingupnlb.html

Which suggests I could set the K2 cluster to None , but I'm not absolutely certain which elements of our system would be defined as

K2 Host Server cluster

K2 Host Server cluster

K2 for SharePoint Server cluster

Any help gratefully recieved.

Alex

Hi AlexP,

The specific documentation on load balancing smartforms is found here: http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/K2smartforms/ICG/1.0.7/default.htm#Setting_up_NLB.html

Again, check your environment to make sure you're looking at the appropriate documentation for the installed version of smartforms.  While I don't consider myself an expert on load balancing, I would suggest that if you are considering making this change, that you do so in your development or QA environment prior to attempting this in production.

Also, out of curiosity, what sort of performance are we experiencing now?  If load times are not excessive, this might be a good case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but again, that depends on what we are seeing right now as far as smartforms performance.  Typically, a good test is to build a smartform that does not rely on any data sources, and test load times using that form.  If there are forms in your environment that may have slow performance, look to see what data sources they are using, and once you've established a baseline, add smartobjects to your "blank" form, and retest the timing.  This could tell us if there is a performance issue in communicating with a particular data source.

Regards,

Mike