Skip to main content

Hi

Recently upgraded our environment to Service Pack 4. After installing the update, we ensured that the Server and Studio were  both set to run .NET Framework 1.1. We would now like to get everything consistently running on .NET 2.

Obviously we will test this, but I would appreciate input from anyone with experience in this whether this is the correct way to proceed:

1. Change the K2 Server to run under .NET 2
  2. At this point, all our existing workflows should continue to run as normal?
  3. We will still be able to export workflows from K2 Studio (configured for .NET 1.1, referencing .NET 1.1 DLLs)?
  4. Once we update the K2 Studio configuration to .NET 2, we will be able to open and export our workflows as before? Presumably this is analagous to opening a Visual Studio 2003 project in Visual Studio 2005. Will K2 give us compiler warnings about obsolete DLLs?
  5. At this point we can re-reference using the .NET 2 version of any DLLs, and rewrite code as needed (e.g. system.web.mail to system.net.mail) and reexport?

Hopefully someone can offer some advice on whether this is a good/correct approach. I find it confusing as we have to deal with:

- .NET Framework version on studio and server

- Currently running workflows - don't want to break these

Many thanks for any advice,

Richard

You will need to make the changes to the K2 Server and K2 Studio at the same time.  If you look at the following KB article: http://kb.k2workflow.com/articles/kb000154.aspx  it states that "K2.net 2003 Server and K2.net 2003 Studio MUST be configured on the same .NET Framework version, failing to do so will result in failure to export processes from K2.net Studio to K2.net Server."  Basically you will no longer be able to export .net 1.1 solutions to the K2 server after making the changes to the server.  The processes that were exported prior to making the .net 2.0 change will continue to run the same way that they ran before the change.

I hope this helps.

-Eric

Thanks for your help Eric, much appreciated

Richard