Skip to main content

So, I know that it's easy to get a user's manager through the user's manager property and I'm assuming that this is tied to the AD property in the organization tab called "Manager". 

I don't believe you can have more than one manager for a particular user in AD, so what would be the best approach to do this?

I've considered avoiding the AD route entirely, since our org chart is so dynamic and involves "floating managers" and shift managers.  One approach I considered was to map this out in SQL and build a web service that exposes this information through the Dyanamic Web Service Service Object.  Any other ideas or am I completely off the reservation in my understanding of how K2 works with AD.

thanks

It sounds like your understanding of AD and K2 is correct.  I think your proposed approach is good one.

I've heard of drive-by by management, but the thought of managers floating in to drop conflicting nuggets of wisdom on my head sounds....

What the heck, I only know technology, so I'll leave the editorial comments to the news media.  You're right in that K2 pulls manager information from AD.  As far as I know, you can only have one manager in AD.  And then, that assumes that someone keeps that information up-to-date.  I think your approach sounds reasonable.  It would also be possible to build your own custom service object that could be exposed as a SmartObject.  One thing to keep in mind might be the need to build some sort of UI to allow authorized users to update the complex relationship of floaters.  The web service will only be as good as the data it is based on.

Good luck!

You're correct.  AD only support a single manager.  We have this same problem at my primary client because they have shift workers on 2-week rotation, so every 2 weeks their supervisor changes (usually between the same 2 people, but that isn't always the case) so we need to support at least 2 managers, which of course AD can't do.  This has been a recurring problem for us, and we need to find a long term solution for _all_ of our applications that will require a central data store that can be consumed easily.  I think your suggestion of a web service is a good one as it is relatively easy to development and integrate, and then store the data in your data store of choice.