Skip to main content

Hey folks:

Having an issue. I have a state machine that triggers other workflows as required. In this case:

• my Manager Entry workflow has one notification that goes out within it. If I run that workflow on its own, it works as expected - 1 email goes out.
  • If it runs when triggered by the State Machine, it sends out 4 emails instead and I can see 4 instances of the "Waiting on Modified By", for example -- even though only one instance of the workflow has been triggered.

Thoughts? I have already rebuilt the email notification itself, and the State Machine's "Start Workflow" is the standard action... nothing fancy.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Driving me nuts.

Can you please share the workflow configurations? It will help understand.

yes can we see?  are you sure you're state machine isn't looping with a missing "change state" action?

place a pause action at the very beginning of the workflow, it should help.

Just faced the same situation and remembered "wait, didn't I see a question about this today's morning"?

My state machine starts a workflow and waits for its completion. The started workflow calculates some stuff and sends an email to a single recipient. No looping, no groups.

The person addressed in the email is getting the same email 4 times.

100% sure - this is a SUPER simple workflow. Will post a screenshot.

To those requesting screenshots:

"User Manager" is a Person field, it is one person.

Okay, sorry it's happening to you - but also - glad to see it's not just me!

Nintex SupportFrank Field‌ This smells like a bug...

Opened a ticket, case # 00145703

I'll give this a shot, ‌ - will let you know if it helps!

Hi ‌!

What happens when you publish the workflow under a different name and remove the 'old' one?

Cheers,

Rick

The one with the state machine or the one the state machine is triggering?

The one the state machine is triggering.

Update:

So, Nintex is telling me it's not a bug, but has requested to see my workflows, and I've sent them along.

Following ‌'s advice - adding a Pause at the beginning of my triggered workflow - has resolved my issue for the time being (Thank you Marian!)

Thank you ‌ - I did not get a chance to try your advice, but I appreciate it none the less.

I am going to mark Marian as correct, but will update once I receive more information from Nintex on this issue.

‌ -- are you able to say WHY adding a pause solves the problem? Or is it just "one of those things"?

the reason is explained here  https://community.nintex.com/nintex-blogpost/1289%C2%A0

when workflow is started on a event, it can be started sooner then list item is fully instantiated. then it has these undesired side effects.