Skip to main content

I need to migrate k2 2003 data to Black Pearl I saw that there is a migration tool for this purpose: http://www.astaticstate.com/2009/01/k2net-2003-to-k2-blackpearl-migration.html . Does anybody has this tool or know where I can get it? Thank you in advance

You'll probably want to contact K2 support directly about this to get their advice.  The last recommendation I heard was that customers where better served recreating their processes for blackpearl.  Because of the changes in the supported components like SharePoint and InfoPath and the underlying OS architecture and the fact that its been almost 7 years since the release of K2 blackpearl meant that customers could run into more problems trying a migration rather than a process rebuild.  However, this might not apply in every situation so you'll want to contact them.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Tim ,thank you for your answer.
I have many process instances currently running on k2 2003
After rebuilding the processes to k2 Black Pearl, I need those processes instances to continue from the exact point they was at k2 2003 server.
Is it possible? And in what way?

I would say it’s possible to rebuild the processes and have them continue from the exact spot but not exactly easy and you'll probably need to do a lot of testing. You’ll also need to set the business expectations that depending on how the processes are currently designed there may be some “re-approval” in some cases.

I've never done this as part of a migration approach but I have done it where we needed an accidently cancelled process to continue on from a particular activity. 

Here are some thoughts:

1. Redesign your processes in K2 blackpearl. 
  • Ensure that when you rebuild that you take into account that if started automatically by your utility that the process would flow immediately go to a "Holding activity".
  • Build a process finish rule into your new processes so that you don't accidently complete your processes by using the GOTO and the rules don't execute as expected.  Note the process finish rule is new to blackpearl

2.  Build a utility that would

a.  Read from K2.net 2003 active process instances and get process and xml information out of it

b.  Start an instance on the new K2 blackpearl server and populate the process datafields and xml fields as appropriate.

c.  Then have the utility use the GOTO method to move to the current active instance activity.

d.  Potentially even have it redirect the active task to the same person it was assigned to before if the destination rules didn’t do it correctly.

Hope this helps,

Tim