Skip to main content

We are evaluating whether to acquire BlackPearl.

In a recent chat with some guys from K2 I asked about Impact Analysis when considering changing a SmartObject.  They didn't seem to have an answer - which I think is strange.

If we start building SmartObjects, then I can envision that in the future we may wish to change a SmartObject.  Before changing the SmartObject, it would be very useful to understand all the points in workflows that use this SmartObject (as well as other SmartObjects using it).

Is there an easy way to determine how a SmartObject is used within a Blackpearl implementation?

Thanks for your help.

in the current version, there is no interface to do this. With some SQL queries, it might be possible to get all the workflows that use a specific smartobject

K2 does have a dependency database that will prevent you from deleting a smartobject that is in use. 

With that said there is not a out of the box feature that will show everywhere inside a process or across processes a SmartObject is utilized.  That would be a nice feature but I wouldn't consider it a show stopper, or at least it hasn't caused issues on the projects I've worked on. 

Would be a nice addition to SmartObjectTester.

I have to agree with Tim. While the Dependancy database holds the relationships created between SmartObjects, it will be impossible for a tool to determine all the references to a SmartObject. One should remember that the SmartObjects can be referenced from anywhere, custom Windows/web applications, InfoPath forms and even in the code behind in the Process Definition (when not using the SmartObject Event).

If this is a big concern, an easy solution will be to create a simple table or spreadsheet documenting all the references to all SmartObjects. My 2c.