Skip to main content

I'm working on an approval process where employees can initiate requests. I want to enable each manager in the org chart to be able to see the summation of requests for the hierarchy below them. I'm not quite sure how to perform the smartobject query or what data elements would be needed to make this efficient.

I'm thinking I'd use SmartForms for the list display of returned requests.

Currently planning on using SharePoint list for storage.

I need to handle changes to the org chart dynamically as well. So if there are changes, the list view will show the results based upon Active Directory information.

Any ideas?

Hello Doug,

If I am understanding your question correctly you can have the destination user of the approval activity be the process originator's manager. I feel like that could achieve the solution that you are looking for.

You can map that out by navigating through the activity wizard to 'Destination Users'. Then by selecting add you can use the context browser to navigate to the 'Workflow Context Browser' and expand the 'Process Instance' node and then expand the 'Originator' node. Drop in the manager into the 'Name' field. That will then send the request to the originator's manager which is what I believe you are looking for.

Regards,

Matt

Thanks for the reply, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm not concerned about the task assignments in a workflow. I am interested in the listing of content in SmartForms. If requests are started by individuals all over the org chart, then entries will be made either in a SP list or in a database for each request. How can a manager see all of the entries from the org chart below him/her?

I've researched a couple of methods so far, the "adjacency list model", and the "modified preorder tree traversal algorithm". But both of these require some unique programming to accomplish, and even then, I'm not sure how to return the result set to a SmartObject.

(http://www.sitepoint.com/hierarchical-data-database/)

I've also discovered that SQL 2012 has a hierarchyid data type, but relys on the application to do most of the work. So thinking that's out too.

Still looking...