Skip to main content

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the Word Documents Event of my workflow. I'm using the Update Document Content Control - From Text option. I specify a Sharepoint site URL, document library, the file name and the content control name. When I deploy and run the workflow, I keep getting the error, "Server was unable to process request. ---> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.". I'm aware what the error means (something is missing) but I'm not sure why I'm getting it. Here is a screencap of the page of the wizard where I specify the destination document information:

11125iE650D7C2B4B3AD3A.png

I've tried using the file name without the extension, which didn't work either. Any ideas why I am getting the error? I am running K2 Blackpearl v4.6.4.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've been looking for some relevant information on this error, I will update you if I find anything.

Are you aware of any recent changes to the environment that may have caused this issue?

Further are you seeing this error from just this machine or does it happen to others aswell?

Have you also noticed anything in the logs? 

Regards,

Isaac. 

Hi Isaac,

Just this machine (I'm having other problems with the others we have). I checked the event viewer and did not find an entry for the error. I'm not sure where we configured logging to go when we initially installed this version of K2 so I have no idea where else to look. No, there haven't been any recent changes to this machine.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi dsd,

Could you please attach the full error details you get when you deploy your workflow.

Are you using K2 Studio or K2 Designer ?

King Regards

Julia

I'm sorry, I think I worded the original description poorly. I have no errors deploying the workflow, only when running it. Technically the workflow is started when I submit a Smartform, but nothing is actually sent to the workflow right now; it's just a simple button that triggers the start of the process. 

I'm using K2 Studio to design the workflow.

Thanks.

Hi dsd,

I can see you specified you are using K2 blackpearl 4.6.4. This issue looks like a known issue with that version of K2 blackpearl, What i can suggest, is log a support ticket to request a fix for that error.

Reference:

• - When updating a Word Document Content control using the Word Document Event in a K2 process, an error occurs stating: "Server was unable to process request".  This will occur if the Document Library name is changed where the Word Document resides. (http://help.k2.com/kb001539)

• After upgrading K2, attempting to update a document’s content control using the Word Document Event in a process, an error occurs stating: "Exception Error Message: Server was unable to process request. ---> Object reference not set to an instance of an object".  The error only occurs on a document that previously existed in a Document Library on a SharePoint sub site. (http://help.k2.com/kb001549)

Kind Regards

Julia

I'm getting this on another server too. This other server has the latest version of K2BP installed (4.6.7). Weird.