Skip to main content

Hi all,

How are you people developing/debugging K2 Sharepoint systems?

Is there definitive guide as to how to set-up a developers environment?

I presume that a developer must have a duplicate local K2/Sharepoint  virtual server since even if debugging on the server is enabled that debugging session locks the server to one developer.

Hints or pointers would be most welcome.

Thanks.

My 2 cents...

In my experience people have a dedicated virtual environment for initial development for exactly the reason you suggest:  when you have multiple people debugging against the same server it can disrupt everyone else.  Invariably someone deploys a new set of web site changes does an IIS RESET.  After doing unit testing in the dedicated environment where each developer can slash & burn without disrupting anyone else, a shared environment is used for integration testing so all the different parts can come together.  Most customers will have several testing environments with the top one mirroring production and being strictly controlled for testing by actual users.

If you are building a low/no code solution then you probably can get away with a shared development environment.  However, never underestimate the need to test.  "But it worked on my machine" are famous last words.

My 2 cents...

In my experience people have a dedicated virtual environment for initial development for exactly the reason you suggest:  when you have multiple people debugging against the same server it can disrupt everyone else.  Invariably someone deploys a new set of web site changes does an IIS RESET.  After doing unit testing in the dedicated environment where each developer can slash & burn without disrupting anyone else, a shared environment is used for integration testing so all the different parts can come together.  Most customers will have several testing environments with the top one mirroring production and being strictly controlled for testing by actual users.

If you are building a low/no code solution then you probably can get away with a shared development environment.  However, never underestimate the need to test.  "But it worked on my machine" are famous last words.

Thanks for those supportive comments.

Can you point me to some examples/tutorials on setting up a development environment?