Skip to main content
hi!
I have designed a k2 workflow with an infopath form (web-based) deployed in a sharepoint form library. When I start the process the form is saved in the form library. For each destination user of my infopath even there is an instance of the form saved in the library (4 users 4 xml files in the form library). Is it possible that only 1 file for all destination users is saved in the form library?

From a cleanup point of view you have the ability to select an option on the event wizard to delete the temporary files when completed. this will remove all those instance documents - this is highly recommended.

from an execution point of view you cannot have just one file for multiple users since each person acting on the document will overwrite whatever another person has done. it will also be difficult to manage security around that. you will note that each of those temporary files has a serial number attached to it. that prevents any unintened users from acting on the document and data - K2 assigns a serial number to each of the intended destination users.

hth

Thank you.
Is it possible to define an arbitrary name which is used to save the form in the sharepoint form library? The name which is used to save the forms of my k2 process is the name of the infopath events. And when my process is finished the forms are deleted from the sharepoint list. Is it possible that the last form saved in the sharepoint library will not be deleted?

Thanks a lot

Hi Jochen,

First, yes you do have the the ability to provide a file name for your InfoPath documents that are saved to SharePoint and subsequently seen and actioned (I suspect this is the reason for question) by your end users.

InfoPath Form File Name

For your second question, here is the best way to Archive/Upload your InfoPath XML to SharePoint.  Within an Activity of your process (generally the last activity) drag a SharePoint Document Event onto the activity and configure everything as normal and follow the screen cap below.

Upload InfoPath XML

Hope this helps.

-mike

Just a quick point to watch out for when you manually specify the name of the temporary XML file. 

As you might know, if you have 4 destination users, there will be 4 Worklist items (thus 4 XML files), each with it's own serial number. When you don't check the "Specify name of Temporary File" checkbox, K2 will ensure that the file name is unique, so no issues.
However, when you do check this box and you specify a "hardcoded" name or a non-unique name for each temp file, the 4 files will still be created, but since the file name is not unique, the first 3 will be overwritten. You will end up with only 1 file, containing only 1 serial number and only 1 user (usually the last in the list of destination users) will be able to complete the item. The other users will get an error stating that they don't have permissions to complete the worklist item since the serial number in the form doesn't match the serial of the item that was created for them.

I have tried out the second topic. The form is saved to the sharepoint library but not as  ".xml" file. What can be the reason for this?

thanks!

Jochen

What is it saved out as?  You may need to put the ".xml" file extension at the end of the file name within the SharePoint Document wizard.

You are right. I have to put the ".xml" file extension at the end of the file name.

thanks