Skip to main content

Symptoms

K2 Host Windows Service does not run

Diagnoses

When I try to start the K2 Host Windows service it produces an error. It says: Windows could not start the K2 blackpearl Server service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

I looked at the path and file and it was correct. I'm not sure if it is a permissions issue or maybe a group policy issue that is preventing the K2 host windows service from running. We are using a service account. We tried another username and password and it gives the same error.

If I start the K2 blackpearl host through the console, it works fine. It's been working fine for the last two years. It just stopped working. It has a production license key.

We need it to run as a windows service and not through the console.

Resolution

The network team applied a security update to the k2 server that put quotes around the application path name for the windows service for k2. They went into the registry and removed the quotes. The k2 windows service started successfully after that.

This was very helpful since we too were experiencing the same issue after some Windows related patches and were not able to figure out although we had the correct licensing for our K2 servers.

Using the regedit option helped fix this issue.