Skip to main content

I'm comparing these products and am looking for opinions from the
community.  K2 blackpoint is the trimmed down version of K2
blackpearl meant to
compete, I believe, with Nintex workflow.  I have had pre-sales reviews
of both and have identified some differences in the area of:

• Architecture: 
    K2 server .vs Nintex on the WSS Front end.  Is the k2 server 64 bit?
  • InfoPath
    integration:  K2 blackpoint actions for InfoPath .v Nintex update xml?
  • Other
    actions:  Nintex AD/Exchange actions .v blackpoint

Also,
how is K2 support?

Any input is appreciated. 

• Architecture: K2 is 32 bit and 64 bit, depending on the environment, the K2 installer will install either the 64 bit version or the 32 bit version.
  • Other Actions: K2 will be providing some exciting Exchange features in the 1200 series releases.

K2 support is great!

Hi Bob,

K2 is just x32, the only x64 K2 uses is on Workspace and the sharepoint components.

Now, If you want to compare Workflow engines, drop nintex as it is not in the same leagure as K2 : )

Now nintex = web browser based workflow designs, blackpearl comes with the SharePoint designer which has been beefed up since the old ajax designer in early pearl days.

"On the nintex home page I read this and I will now demonstrate exactly why K2 is superior

• Automate business processes
  • See real-time feedback of workflow activities
  • Create workflows in hours not days
  • Automate common SharePoint administrative tasks
  • Generate rich enterprise-level reporting
  • Draw it, not code it"

Here is how K2 compares.

K2 is bpm software and microsoft stated in a teched session discussing SharePoint 2010 workflow engine , "We are not k2", view workflows in real-time, well of course K2 does that, you can even go as far as pulling reports on the workflow in progress, K2 is fast if you know how to use it, your other options states, hours not days, with K2 I can say, in minutes not hours, automate sharepoint admin tasks, well nintex has an upperhand there I think, but on the other hand being a SharePoint developer I have never heard of a client wanting/needing this functionality, usually SharePoint admins do their work before any thing even touches their environment(Admin mentality there :P), on the reporting side, I have no experience with nintex reporting, but I do have extensive experience with K2 reports, seeing as I worked for K2 for 3 years(awesome company btw), you can do anything using K2, you get the OOB reports which covers the basics, then you get the reports designer which takes it a step further where you can customize the reports to suite your needs, then you get the SmartObject reporting which again old every single piece of data in the k2 databases regarding any process, the latter only ships with blackpearl.

Hope my biast opinion helps a bit :P

Cheers

Pieter

Hi Pieter,

K2 in installed as 64bit or 32bit depending on the environment.

When installing on a 64bit server, 32bit componenets will be installed as well, so that 32bit applications like visual studio can use them.