Skip to main content

I'm new to the K2 world, but been around the block for many years with related technologies. I have an infrastructure / design question for all of you.

I'm going to be implementing K2 with Smartforms and integrating it with multiple on-premise SharePoint 2013 farms--leveraging the App Model. I have dedicated K2 servers (Qty 2 with F5 load balancing to start) along with a dedicated SQL server (for the K2 database, plus some ad-hoc application DBs).

My question relates to the layout of IIS websites and app pools for the K2 server, workspace, runtime, and smartforms. There doesn't seem to be much guidance in the configuration guide regarding the pros and cons of using a single IIS website (and associated URL) vs. having different IIS websites and URLs for the components. They only positive outcome of seperating them out is it presents an easier path to scaling out the services later.

My thought is to utilize the same IIS website (named k2.domain.com) for all components--using different app pools when possible. But not being a K2 expert, I thought I'd put it out here to see if I'm limiting myself in a major way.

Thanks everyone for their time!!!

Hi There

We usually suggest that you set up each component on its own IIS Site. This is because it makes is better for scalability and trouble shooting purposes. However, mostly this decision comse down to customer preference.

Ian