Skip to main content

Our currnent implementation of K2 Blackpearl needs to be moved to a VM (VMWare), but I am absolutely sure that we have encountered issues with this in the past. The problem is that we cannot remember exactly what the issues were except to say that it is related to developing SmartObjects and/or Processes, and (as far as I recall) not the end user experience.

Our current environment is as follows:

• Single physical server running: Windows 2003, MS SQL Server 2005, MOSS 2007, K2 BlackPearl 4.5

We build ASP.Net (C#) webforms and do not use InfoPath forms

We use MS Visual Studio 2005 to develop both the SMO's and Processes (as well as the ASP.Net forms)

Can anyone advise on exactly what the issues are with the above?

I have opened a support ticket, but so far the responses have been that there are no known issues - despite the fact that we know there are for sure!

Many Thanks

Gary

Do you mean issues moving K2 to the VM. Or issues running K2 on the VM?

Hi,

Im currently developig on a VM without any issues other than the ones that are present in non VM environments. Although I am on the latest version on Blackpearl and smartforms. Is there a reson not to upgrade your blackpearl and smartforms as it seems quite old and there have been numerous fixes since.

Hope that helps

We would be looking to move our current implementation from physical to VM - that is where it will be hosted.

Development of processes, SMO's, web forms, etc will still be done locally on laptops.

Yes, I would love to have Blackpearl upgraded to the latest version, but I have no idea of what's involved or how to go about this.

If we did do this, then we would also look to upgrade from MS SQL 2005 and MOSS2007 to later versions.

All of this + SourceCode consultancy would come at a cost which I am trying to get an idea of from the vendor.

At the end of the day, like all things, the biggest challenge is getting these costs approved by management.

Hi GaryK,

To add to this, the majority of the guys in support use K2 running in HyperV, VirtualBox or even Azure for issue reproduction/testing.  These instances are obviously not intensley multi-user or accessible beyond the local machine they are running on, and are typically single box (SQL+K2+All other services on same VM).

I've not had any trouble building smartobjects/workflows etc on my VM personally.  Perhaps someone here in the community has a more "real-world' environment out there in the cloud somewhere that can chime in.

Regards,

Mike