Skip to main content

I am curious if there's a way to sync up the Environment Library and the String Table w/o performing a deploy?

I have run into cases where variables were missed during deployments across environments that the compiler did not catch. e.g. - variables used in email bodies or custom code. So the need arises to create the variables. We've also run into the issue where variables are wrong and need to be updated in two locations. It would be nice to only have to update the envrionment library and "sync" that to the string table.

We do not use a single Environment Library with DEV/QA/PROD configured. We connect to each environment's farm and recreate variables as we promote processes to QA/PROD.

Hi

Please have a look at the Object Browser near the top it says which environment is currently being used and if you deploy it will deploy using that environment. To the left in the Object Browser there is a little arrow pointing down.

If you click you will were the environment is changed. You should by default have a Development and Production there. If you toggle between the two you will see each has its own connection string.

You can configure the Development to user all the connection strings used for dev and change to Production and change that one to use the production connection string.

Now you just chose to which environment you want to deploy.

Hope this makes sense, as a tip there are 5 connection strings for each environment. and to get to them expand and right click and edit fields.

HTH

Vernon

Hello Vernon - thanks for the reply, but that was not my question. I know how the environment library works and how to change environments/servers etc...

My question is: Is there a way to add a new value to the "STRING TABLE" without performing a deploy?" Or another way of asking the question: "Can you sync up the Environment Library and the String Table without performing a deploy?"

Thank you,
  Rich

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not think it will be possible to sync the fields.

The Environment Fields in your K2 Object Browser are converted to String Table fields upon deploy and this is the only time this conversion takes place. So without redeploying you will not be able to create the missing string table entries.

When you create a deploy package for a workflow all the environment fields should be written into the msbuild file. You can use this file to create the necessary fields in the other environments. I am not 100% sure, but I think you can use MSBUILD to deploy your process and the fields will be created on the new environment. Haven't tested this however. This will at least save you some time in recreating the fields.

I guess the other alternative is sharing the same EnvironmentSettings database across all environments. It is a little harder to configure because you have to specify the correct database during a reconfigure/reinstall, but at least you will have one list with all the environment fields which will be used across all environments.

Hope this helps!