Skip to main content

I have one process that needs to spawn several other processes, so I have implemented the 'IPC Event' and went through the very easy to use wizard, setting up which processes to call all very simply.  However, at run time, it seems to completely ignore my IPC Events; that is, none of the child processes are ever called, no tasks or processes appear in the workspace and the parent process ends (though if I specify 'synchronous' for the IPC event the parent process sticks around but does nothing).

I am implementing this as follows, maybe somebody can tell me where I am going wrong:

The parent process has an InfoPath client event, where if the user chooses to submit the order, then the IPC event creates a process for the subsequent parts of the order.  Each part of the order (child processes) consists of an InfoPath client event where the user fills in a different form.  I ultimately want to tie in some data from the parent event to the child event, but I haven't even done that yet - I left the data mapping sections blank in the IPC wizard.  Could it be that parent and child processes are integrated with different InfoPath templates?  Or that I am not passing any data between processes?  Very confused...

Have you checked if the server generates any error messages when the IPCs are supposed to start? You can do this by running the server in console mode or enable logging. Usually it will give quite explicit error messages when there is an IPC error.

Also, how do you check if anything is started in your child process? Do you only check the task list and reports, or did you also have a look in workspace under process management (/workflow server/[project name]/[process name]/instances)?

Another thing to check is if the user context that starts the IPC has start permissions on the child process. If you used windows integrated authentication then it would be the user under which the K2 server runs. Also make sure that you have at least view rights on the child processes...

Hope that helps!

Thank you thank you thank you!  I knew I was overlooking something simple... I did forget to give myself process start rights to the child processes.