Skip to main content

I am having trouble with the install for K2 blackpearl, related to SQL.  Both the BP install application, and the configuration program, assume that the default SQL instance is the one to use.  This is a huge problem when there are multiple SQL instances, specifically if you are running SQL 2000 and 2005 on the same box.

On our production SQL server, the BP install says that the SQL 2005 reporting services are not installed, though they are and are working correctly.  I'm assuming that it is only seeing the default instance, which is SQL 2000.  I can find no way around this problem.

Secondly, the configuration program seems to be doing the same thing.  The first time it is run, it picks the default instance and needs to be changed ("sqlserverinstance").  This works, and the configuration moves forward.  Next time the configuration program is run, however, it says that nothing is configured and wants to run through the wizard again.

Thirdly, is there some way to customize the names of the SQL databases?  It looks like 16 or so DBs are created, and that can be very confusing on a shared SQL server.  Is there a way to put "k2-" or something in front of each DB name?

I recommend contacting K2 tech support on this one. 
Please tell us back with the result, I think most of us might need to know if we could add pre-fix to the DB naming too.

I've yet to find a solution to this problem, and it is going to prevent me from going into production with BP solutions.  Are K2 people watching these threads, or do I need to submit a ticket or something?

Hi,

K2 people are indeed watching these threads, but in this case I would recommend you to log a formal support ticket.

Regards

I'm not certain that this has been resolved, but here's what I understand at this point.  The installer does recognize multiple instances; it wasn't recognizing the product ID for my install of the Reporting services.  K2 support modified the install script to include the specific product ID.

I wasn't able to test this, as I decided to stand up a new dev environment instead of continuing to work with the old one.  When I get ready for the production install, I will be able to test this sufficiently.

Per a ticket I opened with Support putting a prefix in front of the Databases is not supported.

"I have confirmed with our Labs team that changing the BlackPearl database names has not been tested and is currently not supported. This has been logged as a feature request for the Configuration Manager."

Hopefully, soon this will be an option because this is really messy in a shared environment.