Skip to main content

Symptoms

Installation guidelines

Diagnoses

I am ready to install 4.6.9 in our production environment. we have 3 sharepoint web front ends and a 2 server k2 farm. i need to talk to someone regarding running services and deployment strategy as i insstall 4.6.9.

Resolution

Please plan for some down time when planning your upgrade as the K2 blackpearl server service will be restarted as well as IISRESETs will be performed on the K2 Server and any Sharepoint Servers involved.

It is best practice to back up all of the K2 databases (after stopping the K2 service on all servers) prior to upgrading and have a rollback plan in place should you run into any issues.

When you do the actual K2 upgrade, you will need to run the installer (the "setup.exe" in the "K2 Blackpearl 4.6.9" extracted files) on all of the machines that have K2 components installed (including development client machines with k2 for Visual Studio and/or K2 Studio). The same installer is used for upgrading all machines with K2 components. It will detect and upgrade the existing components that are already installed on each machine. The upgrade account requires the db_owner and securityadmin membership, and permissions to access all K2 databases.

It is also recommended to right click on the "setup.exe" and use the "Run as Administrator" option.

To summarize, you should upgrade the environment in the following order:
1. K2 Server(s)
a. If K2 is installed in a farm with more than one K2 server node, please upgrade the K2 server one at a time
2. SharePoint WFE's
3. SharePoint Central Administration Server
4. Run the 'K2 for SharePoint Configuration Wizard' on the Central Administration Server to upgrade the K2 for SharePoint solutions.
5. Upgrade all other machines in the environment that have K2 components installed, for example developer machines, SSRS Server etc.

It is also strongly recommended that you perform the upgrade in a Development and/or Test environment prior to upgrading the Production environment and if you encounter any issues you can contact K2 Support.

Be the first to reply!