Skip to main content

On the installation I know that you can have the installer export out the wsp to manually install them.  I want to do the PowerShell install so that it deploys this to 1 server at a time to limit the downtime.  When we were on 2010 the msi installer would take roughly 5 to 7 minutes to install and deploy to 4 servers.  Later the installer was changed to an exe and then the installer time lasts around 30 minutes.  We've migrated to 2013 and the installer is still around the same amount of time.  With being a 24/7 operation, it is tough to ask for an hour of downtime when all that you are doing is installing an update.

As I understand it on the deploy PowerShell command there is a section that allows you to deploy it at 1 WFE at a time, but I am lost on how to accomplish this.

Hi Kevin Dunn

can you please check this link from Nintex community : Installation error: “Found Server(s) with ‘Web Front End’ Server Role”

On each WFE server indicated in the installer message, do the following.

1. Paste the copied files.
  2. Using PowerShell with administrative privileges, run the following file.
    InstallWfeCoreLocal.ps1
    The script deploys the solution locally. You can confirm deployment using Central Administration.

Hope that help, Majid

I understand what you are referring to on its not Nintex, but the behavior of SharePoint when installing Nintex.  The point that I was trying to make is that when Nintex changed from a MSI package to an EXE package, the time it takes to install increased.