Skip to main content

Symptoms

how to update a sql server

Diagnoses

Sorry this is a simple question but my memory is failing me and documentation was no help.
I need to update an existing sql server smart object to have more columns. The columns have already been created in SQL server.
The smart object is used by several smartform views.

Using the "smart object services tester" tool I have refreshed the service instance.
Again using the "smart object services tester" can I publish the smart object to the same location without breaking the smartforms?
No columns have been removed, only additions have been made.

If not is there another simple way to do bulk column additions to smart objects (say order of 20 new columns) ?

Resolution
That's correct . You can add columns to your SQL Table , refresh the Service Instance and the Schema of the SI will be updated , however the SmartObject will not . If you want to add these Columns to the existing SMO , you will have to recreate it . Simply note down it's GUID from the SMO Service Tester (Right click it and View XML) .

Once you have this GUID , delete the SMO (just keep a backup in case , right-click --> to sodx) and then recreate it from the updated Service Instance and make sure to specify that it use the original GUID and Category . Your new SMO should now have the extra property and your Form should still work , as long as you don't remove any Columns .

Be the first to reply!