Skip to main content

Hi guys,

I have this question earlier to set Folio but could not get the solution on how to handle this situation, so I am posting it again for some suggestions.

Workflow is build using VS2010. Starts workflow when any item is added into the SharePoint document library. I would like to set Process Folio as shown in the wizard diagram below. Workflow Name-ProcessInstanceId but it seems that during this step, process has not yet started and I am trying to set the ProcessInstanceID which is not possible. However, ProcessInstanceID is the only unique ID I could think of to maintain the workflow and make it visible and unique in the worklist item. Is there a way to set the Folio once the workflow kicks off . How to work around this requirement. Thank you.

16357i6AAC861ADAA26306.jpg

You will have to set the Folio to something temporary just so the workflow can start and then add an event to update the folio in your workflow with the Process Instance ID.  It is the only option to do this.

Yes.

For starters, you don't have to set a folio there in your wizard example. You'll notice that the folio field does not have a red bar to the left so it is not required.

To update the folio, use a data event --> Transfer Data option. The source will be whatever text you want to put into the folio. The destination will be the folio field in the Object Browser. That field is actually updateable. 

15831iA7879DD8EE58B574.png

S.

In case I wasn't clear, the data event has to be in an activity anytime after the start of the process. You have to be IN process to be able to get a Process Instance ID.

This is why you cannot set the process instance ID in a process start wizard because at that point in time you technically do not have a process instance from which to glean an ID to put in the folio. You are essentially setting the subject line of an email before hitting send.

But, once in process you can update the folio as many times as you like to even have it change to meet your business requirements at that point in your flow.

Hope this all helped.

S.

Thank you Victoria and Scott for your valuable suggestions. This is definitely one of the thing that we need to know setting Folio at run time to be more context specific from the end user perspective. That's really great.