Skip to main content

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had sucessfully written any code that can allow a workflow to recover from an error condition caused by users not quite using SharePoint correctly.

I have a workflow that is started by an form that has an infopath attachment on it, the workflow will fail if the user attaches a zero length file, or a file that already exists in the library that it will be uploaded in to.

There are also other potential scenarios where a user could break the workflow.

Is the best way to cope with this sort of error to catch it before the workflow is started... which is fine, but I didn't think it would be productive to do so when the blackpearl tool is so flexible. Can you catch an error condition as part of a wizard?

It seems that at the moment, the only way to resolve issues is to tell the user to start again manually once i've checked the error log, however I'd like to alert the user automatically to an error so they can resolve it themselves.

Martin

I have talked about this with several people about not neccessarily writing code within a process but having a service that can poll for processes in an error condition and having it retry the process. This would eliminate processes problems that go into error for timeouts and the like. But I have not seen anyone try to develop it....Unless you are up to the challenge...

Wow, and what a challenge that would be!

It may be something that I will have to look at doing as we roll out our SharePoint solutions (including K2 blackpearl) to more and more users.

I'm surprised that there isn't anything you can 'catch' in each event, like in a MSSQL 2005 SSIS package where you are able to have error condition outputs from each of the events to enable action such as retries and error alerting.

Oh well.... i'll have to do a little more thinking ;-)

Martin