Skip to main content

Hi,

We're using the trial version of BlackPoint 0902 (4.9040.3.470) to assess whether we will be buying the product. I have installed it successfully on our server running Windows Server 2003. I want to now install the client components (i.e. K2 Studio) on my machine running Windows 7.

The setup fails when initialising, giving this error :

Arguments:  
Exception: Value was invalid.
Parameter name: sddlForm
StackTrace:    at System.Security.Principal.SecurityIdentifier..ctor(String sddlForm)
   at SourceCode.SetupManager.Program.ensureUserPrivileges()
   at SourceCode.SetupManager.Program.Main(StringM] sArgs)

This post (http://stevenboldt.com/blog/post/2009/06/25/Invalid-value-error-installing-K2-Blackpoint.aspx) suggests that the problem is that Active Directory is not installed. 

Is it really necessary to install AD on a client? And if so, is it even possible to install AD on Windows 7? We've tried this on XP SP3 as well with the same result. The same thing even happened on our server, but we fixed it by installing AD. 

Am I totally misunderstanding something? Does AD have to be installed on K2 clients?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James

Is the machine part of a domain? Please ensure that it is...and also makesure the installation account has local admin rights on that machine.

Vernon

Thanks for the reply Vernon.

My machine is not part of any domain. The installation account does have admin rights. There is no domain for my machine to join and I can't install Active Directory on it. The server which K2 is installed on is not on our local network, so I can't join its domain.

Thanks

James

Then that is it, K2 needs to be installed on a machine that is part of a domain due to the AD requirement. You can refer to:

http://help.k2.com/en/k2blackpointhelp.aspx?page=Before_InstallationAccount.html

Vernon

Ok, but I don't have access to the article link you posted. I'm not a client yet, still on trial, so cannot access the K2 help center. Could you post the relevant parts of the article for me?

Thanks,

James

Sure in the K2 documentation you get with the installation you can find it here:

Start Here... > K2 blackpoint Installation Guide > Before you begin > Support and Configuration Requirements > Set up Service Accounts > Installation Account

“The Installation Account is the account which the person installing and configuring K2 logs on to the servers with. This account must be a domain account.

The below permissions are required during installation of K2 blackpoint. After the installation is complete, you can revoke these permissions. However, you may need to add these permissions back when reconfiguring your environment.

Note: It is recommended to install all K2 components using the K2 Service Account. Log on to the server as the K2 Service Account before installing.

Important: It is strongly recommended that the Installation Account be in the same domain as the service accounts, and if possible, your user accounts. This will configure this domain as the default K2 User Manager label. To add additional domains, please see the Adding Multiple Active Directory Domains topic. 

The Installation Account will need the following permissions during installation and configuration:

All Servers with K2 Components

Permission

Used For

Local Administrator

In order to successfully install and configure K2 blackpoint components, the Installation User account must be a local administrator on all the servers that will have K2 components installed.

SQL Server

Permission

Used For

dbcreator on the SQL Server

For the K2 components to be installed properly, the Setup User account needs dbcreator on the SQL server.

securityadmin on the SQL Server

For the K2 components to be installed properly, the Setup User account needs securityadmin on the SQL server.

Vernon