Skip to main content

Workflow settings has a setting to allow you to chose a different workflow task list, but how do you create a new workflow task list?  I have a site which contains multiple lists with workflows being fired constantly with multiple tasks assigned for each.  As such the default workflow task list is very large and impacting upon performance.  I would like to create a separate workflow task list for each list (or even workflow) in the same way I have assigned each to a separate workflow history list but I have no idea who to create a new list which mirrors the standard set up.

Any ideas?

in workflow settings you can choose either existing task list or create new one

Thanks Marian. I don't appear to have the option to create one. Do you know where that is restricted from?

are you given 'Manage Lists' permission?

yes I do.  I'm a site admin with full control

I'm not sure whether site admin permission level is sufficient, you need to have access to a specific default template.

I do not know where the template is stored, but I would say somewhere in sharepoint's catalog.

I do not know whether there is other, more straightforward, way how to create a workflow task list, but you can as well do it with this little trick:

- navigate to the site content > add an app

- choose to add whatever new application

- click advanced option on the dialog that asks you for name of new application. you should be navigated to new page

- change in the page address ListTemplate to 107 and FeatureId to respective one acc. this table List of feature ID, listTemplate - Vinit`s SharePoint Space - Site Home - TechNet Blogs​. after you press enter you should be navigated to a page that allows you to create new task list

Hi Liz can any of these answers be marked correct to close out this thread or are you still after a solution here?