How to capture the Display Name of multiple people from a Person or Group column and insert them in a notification

• 19 December 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge +2

Updated: Thanks to ‌ for suggesting the best solution.

In this scenario we have a Person or Group column that allows multiple selection which means users are able to insert more than one person in the column. The goal is to capture the Display Name of the people on the list. In order to achieve this goal follow the steps below:

1. Create the Person or Group  column. In this example I created People List column as detailed below. Make sure to set Allow multiple selection to Yes.
  2. Create a Nintex workflow.
  3. Create a workflow variable and set the type to Single line of text. In this example I created var_Display_Names.
  4. Add Set Variable workflow action to the workflow. Set the workflow variable created in the previous step (in our example  var_Display_Names). Choose List Lookup from the Equals dropdown menu. Source must be Current item. Then choose the Person or Group variable created in the step 1 from the Field dropdown menu (in this example People List). Now click the breadcrumbs button (...) and choose Display names, Semicolon Delimited from Select return type list.

5. All the Display Names will be stored in the var_Display_Names variable separated by semicolon (;). For example the final result will be: John Doe;Bill Smith;Anna Kennedy;

Don't hesitate to comment or contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for reading this article. I hope you find it helpful.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

simpler way is configure desired return type wink.png

211745_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +2

Thanks ‌. That's great! I update the post.

Badge +1

Similarly, I have a custom list.  Each list item is a department, with a Person column for the people in that department. There are between 9 and 35 people in each list item, depending on department size. 

The custom list populates a multi-selection field, but the field displays the department and not each individual in that department.

multi-selection field

The goal is, by selecting each department, being able to send a notification to all those individuals in the selected department or departments.

So far, I'm able to set it up where it'll pick up one department selection, and send an email notification, but if I select more than one, it won't email all of them but just one of them.

This is my variable

variable

This is setting my variable to match the selection of the multi-selection field, called "Communications Groups"

215506_Capture.JPG

How do I email each list item (department) from the multi-selection field instead of just one of them?  Some sort of collection operation and a query?  Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Badge +1

Hmm, When I click on the Ellipses nothing happens.  Using MS Edge Browser but tried on FireFox and t

had the same experience.  Any Ideas?

Badge
Have you found a solution to this issue. I have almost the same issue. I am getting an error because the system is attempting to email multiple people but placing a "," between the names instead of a ";".
Badge +12

@Tywone301 try below steps:

1. Create another people group columns called "CommunicationGroupEmail" but in the field, select show field dropdown as "Work email"
  2. From the workflow's update above column using "CommunicationGroup" column
  3. Add Commit Pending Changes after you update the column
Badge

ok Im going to attempt this today. 

Badge

Hello again, 

My situation is a little different.  I have a list of potential reviewers. This list has their name, organization and email address.  The approver has the ability to select the organization then person that the form will be emailed to.  So my list is not a person or group column its pulling the information from a list.  Hope this will help.

Badge

I was able to successfully use this as a solution...my question is...what if you have A LOT of people in the multi-person field...a single line of text is only going to allow a handful of names...will this work with a multi-line of text?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @melimel98 

It should work the same.

Kind regards

Jake

Badge +3

Hello - I tried all of the steps above, but the final result displayed the last name first instead of a first name first: Smith, Mary; Doe, John; Kennedy, Tracy;  

Is there a way to display the first name first, then the last name of multiple people from a Person or Group column which included a comma separating them?