Skip to main content

I have a workflow running in a library on SharePoint Online.  It ran on some documents and is "suspended".  After fixing the workflow, I'd like to restart all of the suspended workflows.

Is there an easy way to do this without doing this individually on each document?

Hi Colleen,

If you're looking for a nice clean out-of-box method to accomplish this, there isn't one to my knowledge. Here are 2 fairly easy methods which don't require you to restart it manually on every item.

1. Use a site workflow to cancel/restart them - I occasionally use a workflow which queries a list/lib for items with a workflow error and does a for each on them, cancelling and restarting the workflow.
  2. Cancel them all manually, and then use datasheet view to quickly update the items. Make sure the workflow will start when they are modified.

Thank you Josh for this info wink.png.

I just wanted to add one more possibility : you can also cancel/restart workflows with PowerShell.

Here is the link to cancel workflow instances : How to bulk cancel list item workflows with a status of "Error Occurred"

And here is the link to start a workflow instance : Re: Calling Nintex workflow manually or using powershell along with Association Data

Hope it will help someone

Caroline Jung

I have the same issue. In my case, I have a suspended workflow due to the expired password in an Office 365 Query User Profile Action.  Since I spotted this fairly quickly,  it is resolved going forward with a cheeky line alert.png of PowerShell:

Get-AzureADUser -Filter  "UserPrincipalName eq 'myNintexaccount@mydomain.onmicrosoft.com'" | Set-AzureADUser -PasswordPolicies DisablePasswordExpiration

Now this leaves the 5 or so suspended workflows that are I want to restart but run under the original Initiator's account. I just wondered if this possible with, or without PowerShell

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's not possible to restart a workflow with the original Initiator's account...

To restart the Workflows 

https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-6751-restart-the-failed-workflows