Skip to main content

Hello All,

Im looking for suggestions on this topic.

My senario is that i have 5 people in a group and they are assigned a task. The task only has 1 slot.

Users seem to have a issue when directed to the task page, say from the email link and the task is already allocated or closed. Im looking for a standerd way of managing this.

One idea was to send users to a overview page, then let them accept the task before allocating it, or showing the allocated user if it is already allocated. 

I'd appreciate some suggestiond as to what you would or what you have done to make the user experience better.

Currently the task page tryes to open the WLI, which means its automaticaly allocated to the first user whom opens it. As you can guess this is not idea. Additionally the second user gets a horrible exception because the task is no longer availible for him.

Thanks!

Hi Bradley,

This is probably the only thing on the entire platform I also struggle with at all my clients.

The truth is there is no ellegant way past this. One solution I have implimented is to execute the "Server.kWorklistItemRelease" Stored proc by passing in the worklist item ID of th eprocess. This is an internal Stored procedure and I doubt that ANY K2 employee will recommend this approach but it was the only thing that worked 100% of the time for me.

You could also use the Management API but I found that it has a lot of issues when releasing worklist items.

Now for completed items, there I am afraid there is nothing you can do, the best bet is to either create a custom error screen or the easiest, send an email that the task has ended to the group.

In the end, User Training is all that will truly work, the problem is that from the K2 side when a user has the workitem open the warning that apppears resembles an error and users will just see the red exclamation mark and not even bother reading the error message, perhaps a feature request to change the default message into a warning rather an error :P

Regards
Pieter

Hi Bradley

One approach to this is to use error handling on your SmartForm to detect if the task has been opened or completed. You can then display a  more user friendly message when a user attempts to open a task that is already completed or opened by another user.

See the following post for more details:

http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Getting-Assigned-User-of-a-Serial-Number-in-SmartForms/m-p/78155#M22857

Could you not create as many slots as the destination but only let one person action the task. That way at least anyone could open the task until someone has actioned it. So when someone tries to open it once its been compelted just show them the request history and it has moved on.

Hope that helps