Skip to main content

I am trying to create a smart object which reads from, and updates data in a custom SQL application database.  The problem is I can't figure out how to accomplish this task. 

From looking around, I determined that the correct thing to do was to create a new SmartBox Service (under the Management Console in the Workspace).  I tried adding a new Service Instance to the SmartBox configuration.  When I click Add, I am prompted for the database connection string along with some other fields.  I used the connection string from the default SmartBox instance and replaced it with my database name (they are on the same server).  No matter what I try, I can not get the wizard to connect to the database.  Since that connection fails, I cannot create the instance.  I also tried creating a connection in the Server Explorer in Visual Studio and then using that same connection string to create the Service Instance.  This didn't work, either. 

Any suggestions?  Am I even in the right ballpark to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance. 

So, your SQL application database is your back-end system and you need to surface the data within through SmartObjects.  You'll need to write a custom Service (similar to the SmartBox Service) which understands your database schema.

I would recommend contacting your local Services office for some consultation in this regard.

Regards,

Ockert

Thanks for the reply Ockert.  I was under the impression that a SmartObject tied to a database would be more of a configuration/wizard driven creation more than having to write code for each SmartObject that connects to a database.

Is the same thing true for connecting to a web service, that you have to write a custom service broker wrapper around it? 

Yeah you will have to write a custom service but guess what it is not too bad.  I will be presenting a K2 user group on 11/13 and I am going to show some stubs on how to create a custom service.  It will be provided through WebEx, so sign up if you can.

http://k2underground.com/forums/thread/19517.aspx

http://k2distillery.blogspot.com/2007/10/november-k2-user-group-presentation.html

Jason