Skip to main content

Hello,

I am using Nintex Forms 2013.  I have 2 lists. 

1.  Departments - Parent table.  This is a list of all of the departments.  Field "Department" is unique.  There are other fields such as contact information, etc. 

2.  DeptRoles - Child table. A list of roles by department.  Fields are "Department" (Lookup from Department List) and "Role"

I'd like to create a form where the user can select the Department (from a drop down list) and then see, add or remove  all of the Roles associated with the Department.

I tried to create the form off of the Child Table - "DeptRoles" .  I have the Department field on top and a Repeating section with Role.  But, I am not sure how to tie the repeating section to the Department field.  When I configure the repeating section, the "Connected To" drop down is blank.

Does this make sense? 

Out of curiosity, why couldn't this just be done inside of SharePoint in the DeptRoles list itself? 

You can certainly do it in the way that you're trying to do, though it will require some work. Please see the following link (and subsequent video) to get an understanding of what you'd need to do. 

I'm not sure how you would handle already existing Parent Items and their children, but it could be done. 

Nintex Workflow - Order and Order Items Relationship - Vadim Tabakman  

For the example I gave you, I could use SharePoint, but I have 5 other Parent/Child relationships where I'd prefer not to teach the user how to filter and so forth in SharePoint.  

Thanks for the workflow.  It seems like a lot of work.  I may use another application for the front-end for the parent/child updates.