Skip to main content

Hi! I'm trying to get item level permissions of a SharePoint 2013 list using a Nintex workflow. The information I found suggested doing using the REST api in a Web Request action:

Web URL/_api/web/lists/getbytitle('TheList')/getItemById(1)/roleassignments

I stored the results in a text variable and sent myself an email notification.

The output is a large series of numbers and letters like a correlation ID: 

00439d4b-c6a3-470c-9b9d-f32d30136609

I have seen suggestions to then use the query xml action to get something readable but I have no idea how to configure it properly in this scenario. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

For this one, I would suggest using an online XML editor such as https://codebeautify.org/Xpath-Tester copy and paste the string into that, and see if the xpaths can be extracted. 

Below is a screenshot of the action for configuration edits.157i4A4CDF2217980D29.jpg

Thank you for your reply! So the rest call unfortunately only returns an ID and I can't figure out why. That ID is the list ID where the items with unique permissions are stored. There isn't anything there I can extract paths from.

@KenHall, Take a look at the REST call again and see if there is another node you can hit to get the permissions. Also, I would suggest before trying in Nintex, use Postman to mimic the call/response. This gives you the ability to test and tweak it faster and see what may be able to retrieve. 

Nintex workflows is working as it should just need to get to the right data and then grab it out.