Skip to main content

I have a user that initiates a workflow by adding a document to a SharePoint library. The workflow assigns a task to an engineer of the initiator's choosing (via dropdown when the file is uploaded to the library). Once the engineer complete's their task, a new task needs to be generated for the engineer's manager. I can't use the manager context property because I don't want the workflow initiator's manager, but the task assignee's manager.

I can use the "query LDAP" action, but it returns the manager's distinguished name. We could use regex to pull out the CN, but the problem with that is some users may have the same CN. We need something more unique.

We do not have the Enterprise version so we do not have the query user profile action available to us. Is there a different way to find the manager of a task assignee?  Thanks!

You could try call the user profile web service (for documentation look at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/websvcuserprofileservice.userprofileservice.getuserprofilebyname(v=office.12).aspx) using the call Webservice action.

I'm currently at home without access to my SharePoint (shame on me) - so I can't really tell about the structure of the data returned, but you should find the manager property in the result.

We do not have the Enterprise version so we do not have the query user profile action available to us

user profiles are available from SP Standard - SharePoint Foundation vs Server 2013 | Apps4Rent 

so I guess you are on Foundation then...

I think you will have to make two LDAP queries - first one for user's manager DN and second one for manager's  properties (mail or account name) by that DN

Making two LDAP queries worked! Not sure why I didn’t think of that, thanks for your response!

Beau Landry

Content Management Application Administrator

Continental Resources, Inc.

20 N. Broadway

OKC, OK 73102

P/F: 405.774.5963

C: 405.435.0584

Beau.landry@clr.com<mailto:Beau.landry@clr.com>

www.clr.com<http://www.clr.com/>

Mailing:

P.O. Box 269000

OKC, OK 73126

if that addressed your requirement, mark the question answered.