Skip to main content

I found some users changed their AD username, and then lots of workflows which has an notification (i picked ad user as recipient ) ended unexpectedly.

From the workflow history i can see , it will still try to find their e-mail address by their old user name account.

Failed to send notification. Cannot get the full name or e-mail address of user "i:0#.w|domainoldusername".

I checked the SharePoint user profile service, it's updated.

it seems workflow has own cache? it will not updating self? should i republish all workflows, but we still have lots of  running workflows. then How to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Hi Steve,

I personally never encountered such an issue, but your issue looks interesting. I am sure other guys in the forum might help you out .. Couple of things I can think of, may be you would have already tried it though

1) If you create a new test workflow and use the send notification and assign the user name who had changed their email address. Does it work? Meaning does all the new workflow take the new email address or does it still use the old address?

2) Have we restarted the timer job and IIS just to be sure that the Nintex workflow scheduler does not have anything in its cache?

3) May be use one of your non critical workflows and see if republish does work ?

Regards,

Shrini

Restart IIS or server not working.

In test workflow, works.

Is there anyway can make workflow still continue even this notification occurred error.

Hi Steve,

Does RePublish work? For your existing running workflows I don't think we can do anything different as they have already been instantiated and Nintex WF wont really know what to do if any of the action fails. It would stop there waiting for the user to take action on it.

One of the best practice during design to overcome such issues is to use "Query user Profile" first and check if the user exists. This action does have an option to trap errors. If there is no error Only then try sending the notification and only proceed if its okay for the workflow to proceed if the user does not exists; may be when you republish your workflows you could add these additional checks in so that you don't encounter such issues later on?

Regards,

Shrini

Seems notification not support continue with error,"Query user Profile" also in my mind, but there are lots of groups and people in notification, too complicate to query each of them.

Yes .. I think it should not matter for SharePoint groups or AD mostly it should be for users. That's probably one of the way for a more defensive approach. 

BTW did your "Republish" of workflows worked? and if its something very specific to your farm (or Nintex content Db's caching your user data even after all the restarts and Republish, then you might have to log a support ticket and have some one from Nintex check your db's etc.

Regards,

Shrini

I created a support ticket and waiting for answers.

Get reply from Nintex support, seems republish is the only way, all old workflows are dead..

Thank you for emailing Nintex Support.

To resolve this issue, you will have to reconfigure the Workflow Send notification action and re-pick the user, then republish the workflow.

Newly created workflows will pick the correct user account reference when confiuring the Send notification action.

Hi Steve,

Does look like a standard approach from Nintex Support as well, but just to confirm did Republish work correct? I

Regards,

Shrini

Re-pick name and publish, doesn't work. try to delete notification and recreated and publish.

Resolved by export workflow, modify the username and re-import. sometimes , re-pick the user doesn't work. might be it's a bug.