Skip to main content
I am having a problem starting a server in Service Manager.

Right-click on "K2.net 2003 Service Manager" node and select "New K2.net Server Registration", enter properties. The server is created as a child node.

Right click on newly created server. I then get a "K2.net Service Manager" error: "Unable to connect to server [xx] on port 5252. gethostbyname failed: 11004."

Right click on newly created server and select "Start". I then get a "K2.net Service Manager" error: "Cannot open Service Control Manager on computer [xx]. This operation might require other privileges".

The Windows Event log shows a few of these, maybe related or not:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: K2.net Server 2003
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4101
Date: 12/05/2005
Time: 19:45:07
User: N/A
Computer: XX
Description:
Another instance of the server is running

I just did a complete reinstall, but it didn't help. I am running K2.net 2003 with SP2, on Windows 2003, in a VPC, and signed on as Administrator.

Anyone else had this ?
Hi Rick,

Stupid question: Are you sure you didn't make any typos when you entered the name of server [xx] when you registered it in Service Manager? You can also try to use the machine's IP address when registering the K2 Server.
Who are you logged in as? is it an identity that has permissions to that server?
pj
I was so eager to install, pressure of deadlines, it was getting late etc, etc. Anyway, it would seem that the problem is the lack of Active Directory on the machine. Usually though, the install software can be relied upon to complain about missing prereqs :?
Thanks dc and PJ for the offers of help.