Skip to main content

Is there a way to download a file that is on the network such as "SERVERNAMESharefilename.csv"  I looked at he following solutions:

Hyperlink

The url field in the hyperlink control did not allow a string in the form of "SERVERNAMESharefilename.csv"

File Attachment Control

I could not use this control for an item that it did not save or was uploaded with this control

I tried using the Transfer Data rule and assigning the file location to the File Attachment.  This puts the file in the box but does not allow download.

File Service Broker (Black Market)

After reading on this broker, it allows you upload but I didn't see anyting about allowing download of a file.

Can someone please help me with a solution for this issue.

Hi k2d2,

It looks like the underlying issue is that the file is being pulled from a file share which is blocked by most browsers as mentioned here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1369147/

You could probably get it to work in IE but it may not be the best approach as it would require making IE less secure for end users.

However, you could create a simple SmartObject using SmartBox and store the file there and then execute the load method of the SmartObject to populate the File Attachment control in your form.  I just tested this in my environment and it lets me download the document in Chrome and IE without issue.

Thanks,

Jimmy

i tried this method as shared above, our user can download file too

but they have to view this alert message, is there any better way to doanload pdf file from server?

12917iEF5EC268196CA75E.png

Hi,

This you could save this file to a folder in a website (local of course), this will give you a URL to the file and the added advantage is that if the file type allows you can open the file in the web browser.

For instance, if I use the default website on my server the location of a file would be like http://servername/share/filename.csv. You can use this in a hyperlink on any form. To prevent the folder from growing too large you can use the File Service Broker you mentioned to delete files after they have been used.