Skip to main content
Greetings People, i just wanted to know it, can we run sql queries against k2server database, what is k2's Policy ?

I do not know what K2's policy is on it. 
I have created lots of queries on their tables, but they could always update the schema with a new release that might break it.
I have found the best starting point is to use data adapters, point it at the k2 server and build / modify the queries from inside visual studio.

- John

I am not planning to write any queries on top of k2's db but do want to know k2's policy on it.  what is k2's policy on it ?

why would they have any policy at all?  what is Microsoft's (or K2's) policy on writing queries on their system tables?  you can do it and they don't care what you do, but Microsoft (or K2) can change their tables anytime they want and it might break your query.  When that happens you just change your query.  

I guess I don't understand the question or the problem

Companies do have some policies around use of their data structures, e.g . there could be a policy that direct insert/delete Sql are not allowed and it could be violation of policy and as far as i remember Microsoft do have some sort of policy around MCMS

I think _cyclops_ just shared what i was looking for, so there is some policy which prohibits use of queries on their transaction db, if you do you would not be supported in your actions

ah, that does makes sense from that regard.

Direct querying and/or manipulation of the transaction database (K2Server) is not supported.  With regards to the reporting database (K2ServerLog) querying of the data is not prohibited, but the actual editing of data is not supported. 

Thanks Bob, I kinda knew it but wanted to confirm it.

John did you create those queries since K2 .NET 2003?   If so did you need to make much changes to those queries migrating to BP?

we didn't migrate.  I've only been using k2 since the bp release.