Skip to main content

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out in understanding the difference between Line Rule and Preceding Rule?

As per my knowledge, Both are same. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Why I’m assuming both are same is, I have Activity-A which need to executes if the selection from form is “Yes”. To achieve that I followed below 2 ways.

• I wrote in line rule as, If the value contains “Yes”(RadioButtonSelection=Yes), It is firing the activity-A if line rule is true.
  • I wrote in the preceding rule of Activity-A as value contains “Yes” (RadioButtonSelection=Yes), It is also doing the same thing.

Please let me know what exactly the difference is?

Regards

Amar

Hi,

not gonna make it long, just one question, what if you have parallel process? in this case you must use preceding rule if you want an activity to proceed when both activities are completed. 

Check the attached document

Hi Amar,

The simple answer is that a line rule is, so to say, Prior to "entering" the line. And a preceding rule is prior to "entering" the following activity.
Preceding rules mostly use Process level data fields wheras line rules(Think of a stock standard client event) mostly use activity datafields.

In your example both can accomplish the same result, but on a preceding rule it will not have context on the prior activities act ins result as it has been dehidraded(No context)

Bob explained it in the following post as well : http://community.k2.com/t5/K2-blackpearl/Action-outcomes-and-preceding-rules/td-p/20133

Regards
Pieter