Skip to main content

This is an excerpt from the K2 Best Practice guide located here: http://kb.k2workflow.com/ArticleAttach/K2%20blackpearl%20Best%20Practices.pdf

Project Deployment

As mentioned in the K2 blackpearl Installation, Configuration and Security Best Practices section, you should use MSBuild tasks to deploy to QA/Test and Production environments. This is not only a best practice, it also ensures that updated references are copied or added to the global assembly cache (GAC) upon successful builds, and it does not require developers to have access to these environments.

The deploy package can be created and sent to the server team who can then deploy the package to the relevant environment. The K2 deployment package will only deploy processes and SmartObjects, not, for example, user interfaces, reports, service objects, custom environment library fields, roles, working hour zones, and permissions. The developer will need to create a separate deployment method for these components. Refer to the following K2 KB article on creating deployment packages: http://kb.k2workflow.com/Articles/KB000188.aspx

End

This got me thinking... We have K2 roles, process rights and action rights in our development environment we don’t won’t to manual create these items in the UAT and PROD environments. We would be able to live without creating roles and process rights but NOT action rights there are too many. Path = K2 Workspace > K2 Management Console > Workflow Server > Users and Groups > Users: Action Rights

Is there a way to automate the creation of these items in different environments (UAT / PROD) I am assuming we would have to write some custom code utilising the K2 Management API? Anyone know of some examples or articles floating around? Is there a way to execute this when utilising deployment packages?

What we want to achieve is to be able to check that specific Roles, Process Rights and Action Rights exist when we deploy to an environment using deployment packages. Any help would be great!

Thanks again,
Bib

I may have found some helpful information in the K2 Blackpearl documentation: K2 Developer Reference > Development Techniques > Creating a custom MSBuild task to set rights on a process.