Skip to main content

I've created a SmartObject with a custom service broker.  I manually copied and registered the service broker with the BrokerManager using the same GUID that I had used in development.

Now I've created deployment packages and attempted to deploy the SmartObject  with

msbuild {filename}.msbuild /p:Environment=Development

Unfortunately, I'm getting the following error:

{filename}.msbuild(58,5): error : Deploy smartobjects: Task error: SmartObjectServer Exception: Dependancy could not be created. Parent does not exist in this environment. Check Data property of exception.

The Data property is naming the ServiceBroker class that I've already registered.  I've tried adding this file to the bin folder in the deployment, but I haven't had any luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I'm missing?

Yes.  I created the service broker and instance exactly as they were named in development.

Thank you very much.  I had almost tracked down the problem with the serviceinstance IDs, but I wouldn't have known to change it in the SODX file.  Thanks for saving me a ton of time. 

Just as a note:  I attempted to use the Export/Import functionality from the BrokerManager - The .publish file contains all of the information that would've been necessary to recreate the service and service instance as it was in development - It would be nice if you could use this file to create service instances.

SmartObjects are bound to the service instance by GUID, not by name.  Here is another tool that takes a different approach to the problem by allowing you to change the GUID of a service instance so they match between environments:

http://www.k2underground.com/k2/ProjectHome.aspx?ProjectID=71